Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Try a Mini-Vacation for Stress Relief and Renewal

This past weekend I went to Portland and had a mini vacation that left me feeling renewed, relaxed and excited about the things I saw. I traveled very light, left my laptop behind, and explored the beachfront, took pictures of huge rocks, bays, old growth trees, and all the things that excite me about nature. I visited a friend I have not seen in about 25 years and enjoyed the company, the conversation and the great breakfasts that we shared with laughter as we caught up on our lives.

If you think that you have to have two weeks away to recharge your batteries, think again. I can give you the recipe for renewal if all you have is a weekend to escape.

First stop complaining about not having time and/or money and take a weekend off. Visit someone you feel free to be 100% yourself with. If that's NOBODY go alone. Travel light and do not take work with you. Spend time in the sun to reset your rhythms and overcome jet-lag.
Get plenty of exercise especially out doors in the fresh air if possible. Do only things that REALLY interest you and take your time doing them. It's better to enjoy a few excursions that to rush around barely seeing what's in front of you. Eat good whole foods rather than use ' on vacation' as an excuse to eat crap that will make you feel tired, bloated and miserable.
Listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry and rest when you are tired.

Not only did I have a needed break from my usual routine, I got to experience old growth forests, smell the sea air, walk beaches where huge dartk rocks the sice of buildings jutted out of the water like ancient animals frozen in time...I saw a lighthouse (one of only 7 like it in the world) with a hand cut crystal lens, walked the riverfront in downtown Portlans where bridges seemed to grow like intricate metal wildflowers across the water while boats drifted by, and there were also long talks, long walks and lots and lots of laughter.

SO, if you could use a little R & R this summer but you're thinking of skipping a vacation, I encourage you to al least take a weekend to reduce stress and renew. I promise, you'll be glad you did! Pictures will follow later this week!

1 comment:

  1. Well said and a beautiful portrait of what a quick get-away can be like. I am still enjoying our talks, walks and laughter!

    ReplyDelete